I'm trying to ask the first question on this site, but I'm stuck in a loop causing me not to be able to do anything!
I knew it was foolish to think that nothing would break in the 11-something months since the last site launch... and yet I dared hope.
The issue itself is fixed now; sorry about that.
What happened was that a few months ago we redid how we track which state a site is in (Private Beta, Public Beta, etc). Before, whether a site was live or not was a combination of a site state and a boolean to track whether it was "offline". That was replaced with a single list of states that included
Staged to account for the period of time between when I set the site up in our systems and when it's actually open to the ... private.
Fast forward to privilege calculations. That code didn't account for the
Staged state and happily applied full public privilege levels. Needed to redeploy production to get the updated site state to apply and recalc privileges. Needless to say I'll be fixing the code as well.